Scalped by Indians!

geraldine's picture
            This event happened shortly after our ancestors, John McIndoo and Charity Heady, arrived in Kentucky. James Heady (Charity's Brother) and John McIndoo the Scotsman, were among those ordered by the government in 1786 to take provisions and ammunition from the Kentucky settlements to the United States troops stationed near the fort at Vincennes on the Wabash River. On receiving the order, the Kentuckians prepared a keel boat, loaded it with provisions, and made arrangements to tow it up the Wabash. This required two sets of men to float down the Kentucky & Ohio Rivers to the mouth of the Wabash River. Then the two sets of men, taking turns, rowed the boat up stream to Vincennes. John McIndoo was one of these men detailed for this purpose.
In the fall or winter of 1787, on the first trip, when these men were 20 to 30 miles south of Vincennes, John and an Irishman, who had finished their turn of rowing, thought they heard wild turkeys, so they went ashore to shoot the turkeys. When they were some distance from shore, the supposed turkeys proved to be Indians who suddenly arose from their hiding places, surrounded and captured these two men. Then the savages made pack horses of their captives, heavily loaded them with property which had been stolen from the white settlements. John McIndoo was a very small man and after traveling a considerable distance with the Indians who were going north, John became exhausted under his heavy load. The Irishman, who was a large robust man was able to carry his load and finally escaped from the Indians and made his way back to Kentucky and gave the sad account of McIndoo’s horrible death. He said that John gave out under his load and after repeated trials and insults the Indians brutally tomahawked, scalped and left him dying in the wilderness, which was said to be near the junction of the White & Eel Rivers near where Worthington is now situated in Green County, Indiana.
            Back in Kentucky were a grief-stricken wife, Charity and one child Jacob McIndoo, about four years old. Nothing more is known about this little family until the boy was fourteen years old and his mother bound him out to learn the cabinet maker’s trade. He served seven years as an apprentice and then made a start in life for himself. About that time Jacob McIndoo formed an acquaintance with a young lady by the name of Margaret McDowell of Irish descent. After a short courtship they were married. Jacob’s mother, Charity married a man by the name of Sturgeon.
This is a part of the McIndoo History written by Dr. Norman Eugene McIndoo 1949 and updated by Susan Zmrzel 1982.

I am very grateful for the many hours of research and for all the people who have assisted in any way to research and compile the history of this McIndoo family. I love each of you and your efforts and your love for our McIndoo family. For more information about John McIndoo check out BIOGRAPHY OF JOHN McINDOO, And a Brief Sketch of His Ancestors, Found in the Winter 2000 Owen County History & Genealogy publication Volume 9 #pgs 9-10